Filing ‘appears’ to announce Mike Pence will run for president in 2024

US

A filing to the Federal Election Commission appeared to reveal Mike Pence will run for US president in 2024.

But Devin O’Malley, a spokesperson for Mr Pence, said the former vice president had not filed.

A second source from his team told NBC News “this is not real”.

A document was filed on the FEC website, appearing to announce Mr Pence had filed his statement of candidacy. However, the FEC form does not appear to reflect his actual legal name – Michael Richard Pence.

The form instead lists Mike Richard Pence.

The former VP has said for months he would make a decision in the new year on running after consulting with his family.

It is unclear who is responsible for the FEC filing.

More on Mike Pence

Mr Pence incurred Donald Trump’s anger after he refused to support his calls to overturn the results of the 2020 election and the former vice president has distanced himself from Mr Trump since that election defeat.

If Mr Pence does choose to run, just 7% of primary voters were planning to back him, according to a RealClearPolitics average of polls.

Mr Trump, who was president between 2017 and 2021, has already announced he will run for a second term.

Mr Trump’s former national security adviser said earlier this month that he is “absolutely” considering a presidential bid, and there is also speculation that Ron DeSantis, who recently coasted to a second term as Florida governor, will also throw his hat in the ring.

Articles You May Like

Apple’s expected to post its first revenue decline since 2019 on Thursday
Europe’s crackdown on Big Tech omitted TikTok — but now that’s set to change
‘He wants world dominance’: Pompeo reveals who he thinks is more dangerous than Putin
Tesco says management shake-up and hot counter closures to impact 2,100 jobs
Ukraine war: NATO meets to discuss new weapons pledge